Department of Chemical Engineering, Instituto Superior Técnico (PT)
Instituto Superior Técnico was founded as a state-owned higher school of engineering in 1911 and is the largest university school of engineering in the country. Since 1935 it occupies its present campus in central Lisbon and offers undergraduate and graduate programmes in the following fields: Civil Engineering; Mechanical Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Applied Chemistry; Biotechnology; Mining Engineering; Materials Engineering; Physics; Technological Physics; Physical Engineering; Applied Mathematics and Computer Science; Electrical and Computer Engineering; Computer Science Engineering; Engineering and Industrial Management; Aerospace Engineering; Naval Architecture and Marine Science; Territorial Engineering; Environmental Engineering
There are 14 undergraduate programmes (five years) which lead to the degree of Licenciado (Licentiate). Graduate studies may be developed in 16 different programmes leading to the degree of Mestre (Master) and in 19 general fields of research leading to the degree of Doutor (Doctor). The Institute is comprised of eight academic departments as well as many interdepartmental laboratories, centers and divisions extending beyond traditional departmental boundaries. The Institute's total enrolment approximates 8 500, of which about 875 are graduate students. The faculty has about 550 professors (full, associate and assistant professors), with a total teaching staff of about 980.